Infection Control Statement
The annual statement will be generated each year in July.
It will summarise:
- Any infection transmission incidents and action taken (these will be reported in accordance with our Significant Event procedure
- The annual infection control audit summary and actions undertaken
- Control risk assessments undertaken
- Details of staff training (both as part of induction and annual training) with regards to infection prevention and control
- Details of infection control advise to patients
- Any review and update of policies, procedures and guidelines
Westwood Road Health Centre Lead for Infection Prevention /Control Lead is Sara Lang, Practice Nurse, who is supported by Jane Goddard, Practice Manager
This team keep updated with infection prevention and control practices and share necessary information with staff and patients throughout the year.
In the past year 2020/21 there have been no significant events that related to infection prevention and control.
Infection Control audits were undertaken by Berkshire West CCG Infection Control Nurse Control Nurse Jintana Loss , and, any changes to be made within the practice implemented as a result.
Regular risk assessments are undertaken to minimise the risk of infection and to ensure the safety of patients and staff. The following risk assessments related to infection prevention and control have been completed in the past year and appropriate actions have been taken:
- Control of substances hazardous to health (COSHH)
- Disposal of waste
- Sharps injury
- Use of personal protective clothing/equipmen
- Legionella risk assessment
100% of the Practice Clinical staff completed their annual infection prevention & control update training
100% of the Practice non-clinical staff completed their annual infection prevention & control update training.
Infection Control Advice to Patients
Patients are encouraged to use the alcohol hand gel/sanitiser dispensers and to wear masks that are available throughout Westwood Road Health Centre
There are leaflets available at Westwood Road Health Centre on:
- MRSA – Norovirus
- Chickenpox and shingles – Influenza
- The importance of immunisations (e.g. in childhood and in preparation for overseas travel)
- Recognising symptoms of TB
Policies, procedures and guidelines
Documents related to infection prevention and control are reviewed in line with national and local guidance changes and are updated 2-yearly (or sooner in the event on new guidance).